Tuesday, September 26, 2017

How often are you in the ‘flow’?

You are coding away. A minute goes by… You check the watch, and its been two hours!

You don’t know how those two hours went by, but they were very productive. You feel good. Happy. A joy that comes of active creation.

You, my friend, were in the flow. It’s a state that is a reward in itself, a state with your highest of performance.

Given that, can we try to create conditions to get into that state as frequently as possible? What works for you? How often do you find yourself in the flow?

I find myself at my productive best when I can get at least two sessions of complete concentration in a day. These sessions don’t include checking email, or Facebook, or having design discussions or reviewing other’s work. They include working by myself, typically on a programming assignment. And often it happens when the stuff is churning in my mind for quite some time. So once I sit down, all those thoughts just spill over through the keyboard onto emacs.

1 comment: